5 Steps to Build a Profitable Mushroom farm business plan
A mushroom farm business plan is profitable when it is accommodated with the appropriate weather according to the species of mushrooms. The best temperature for the growth of mycelium would be 24-25 deg C and 16-18 deg C are vital for the development of the fruit body. The higher temperature is detrimental and lower temperatures hinder the growth of both mushroom mycelium as well as fruit bodies. Paddy straw mushrooms are produced at temperatures of 35 degrees Celsius.
In this post, we are going to discuss mostly Paddy Straw Mushrooms Growing process. And according to the required temperatures and weather, this process is suitable in a coastal country like India. Hence, the discussion has been elaborated on the basis of the Indian perspective.
But to acquire an overall conceptual knowledge on how to start a profitable mushroom growing business at home from scratch, this post will be the best to follow.
Let’s dive into the deep. The 5 steps to starting a profitable mushroom growing business at home from scratch are:
- Know about Mushroom;
- Investment Required for mushroom growing business;
- Place required for mushroom growing business at home;
- Mushroom Farming Process at home;
- The profit potential of the mushroom growing business.
Know Your Product
Before starting any business, you should be aware of your product, and know its potential and its drawbacks. Not only to start a profitable mushroom growing business at home, but for any kind of business setup, you should know the basics of the product and its character.
What is a Mushroom?
Mushrooms are a type of fungus. Of all the fungi found in the world, the ones we can use as food are called mushrooms. Mushrooms are very nutritious and delicious food. Mushrooms contain B vitamins as well as proteins, a variety of minerals, and antioxidants that are good for the heart.
Different Types of Mushrooms
There are three main types of mushrooms are available in India to start a mushroom growing business at home. Button mushroom, Straw mushroom, and Oyster mushroom.
Button mushroom is one of the most popular mushrooms in India It was usually cultivated in winter but now it is cultivated all year round with the help of advanced technology.
Straw mushroom is to be cultivated on a bed of paddy straw Straw mushrooms usually require a temperature of 34 to 41 degrees It is usually cultivated in summer.
Oyster mushroom cultivation first began in Germany during World War II. It is cultivated in India, usually in northern India Oyster mushrooms usually require a temperature of 20 to 30 degrees.
Where to Buy Mushroom Seeds
Mushroom seeds can be purchased from various online and offline locations You can buy them from various online websites like Amazon, Flipkart, Indiamart, Trade India, etc. You can also buy mushroom seeds from people near you who are already working with mushrooms. In that case, there are many companies that help you grow mushrooms instead. You can also officially visit the office of West Bengal Comprehensive Area Development Corporation in West Bengal whose address is – Bhavan, 2nd & 3rd-floor Plot no-18/9, Block-DD, Sector-I, Salt Lake, Kolkata-700064. If you visit the website of this organization, you can contact the government officer according to each district.
Cost of Mushroom Farming | Investment required for Mushroom Growing Business
The cost depends on how large the mushroom is being grown. To run a profitable mushroom growing business you do not need a huge capital at once, rather you can enhance the capital gradually, as long you run the business. So it depends on your potential and the availability of funds in your hand.
Price of Mushroom Seeds (Spawn)
Mushroom seeds are available from Rs.95/- per kg to Rs.120/- per kg. The price of mushroom seeds depends on the species and brand of mushroom you will be cultivating.
Initial Capital to Start Mushroom Growing Business at Home
Usually if one does it on a small scale then it is possible to do this business for between Rs. 50,000 to Rs.1 lakh.
Place required for Mushroom Farming
Mushroom cultivation requires a house called “A Mushroom House”. Mushrooms are grown by keeping mushroom seeds in this house. The fewer holes in the house, the better because mushrooms need a certain temperature and humidity to grow. If there are large holes, they should be covered with straw or plastic. In general, if you want to do it in a small way, 10 feet by 12 feet house will do.
Disinfection of Mushroom Room
The most important thing to do after fixing the house is to disinfect the house. Failure to do so may result in different types of mushroom diseases and lower yields of mushrooms. The house should be disinfected using disinfectants like Bavistin, Formalin, etc.
Mushroom Farming Process
Most importantly to start a mushroom growing business at home or on small scale, you should know the farming process yourself. It will make you self-dependable and increase your confidence to sustain and grow gradually. Follow these 9 steps to farm mushrooms:
- The first step – to cultivate mushrooms, first cut the straw.
- The second step – then you have to shake off the dust from that straw.
- In the third step – then the cut straw should be left in the sun to dry a little
- Step 4 – Straw sacks should be soaked in lime water in a basin for 12 hours.
- Step 5 – After soaking the lime in water for 12 hours, place the sacks on a bamboo platform and drain the water. Then they have to be steamed so that all the germs are destroyed.
- Step 6 – Then look at the straw so that it feels wet but not water If the amount of water is high then it has to be fixed with chemicals.
- Step 7 – Then fill the plastic packet with a straw and put the mushroom seeds in it. One packet will weigh 5 to 6 kg. First, you have to fill it with straw, then you have to give seeds, then you have to make a layer with straw on it. Care should be taken so that the straw is crumbly Make some holes in the plastic packet. Then Packets should be hung in the mushrooms.
- Step 8 – After the buds come out of the plastic packets, you need to spray water, otherwise the buds will dry out.
- Step 9 – Mushrooms are usually ready to be sold in the market within 40-50 days.
Is mushroom profitable business – Investment required for mushroom farming
The mushroom growing business is very profitable and can be done with very little investment. It is possible to earn Rs.1 lakh to 5 lakh per year by cultivating mushrooms in a fairly medium-type area.
Government Schemes & Subsidies For Mushroom Growing Business
There are arrangements for the training of agricultural projects from the Government of West Bengal. For this, all kinds of information can be found on the website Utkarsh Bangla of West Bengal. There are also various government schemes to get loans from banks at much lower interest rates. In that case news of many schemes is available from NABARD’s website. You may avail of a 20% to 50% discount on Aadhaar cards and PAN cards.
Due to such support from Govt Schemes, the profit can be literally enhanced above the normal.
- You may find interest in reading these posts as well:
- How To Draw A Perfect Business Plan Blueprint | 11 Essential Points You Must Include
- How To Start Aloe Vera Gel Business | 7 Things You Must Know For A Potential Growth